Friday 5 July 2013

Mort by Terry Pratchett

Mort was published in 1987, when I was half my age.

When did I read this last? Last century for sure. Nothing of the plot remains in my memory, as ever. Some small sparkles of detail.

I find myself still squeamish and prudish when Pratchett does bad language and sex, I guess I am reading with a view to recommending to my eleven year old; every time so far the answer has been maybe next year.

I enjoyed the read, it is pretty unputdownable, but you can get to bed. None of the characters are especially likeable, but the language is fun.

There was a device, which worked the first time, but when it was used a second time within a few pages it got my backup.

p 194

In fact it really was amazing what could be done with several ounces of heavy metal, some irritated molluscs, a few dead rodents and a lot of thread wound out of insects' bottoms.

all fine but then p 202

conventional food like flightless bird embryos, minced organs in intestine skins, slices of hog flesh and burnt ground grass seeds dipped in animal fats; or, as it is known in the patois, egg, soss and bacon and a fried slice.

Too close for comfort.

Errata

Corgi 1993

80
She slid off her stall (Should be stool).
123
They stared side by side at the trout. The trout stared back. (Should be carp).

No comments:

Post a Comment