Monday 17 January 2011

Gödel's Proof by Nagel and Newman

Gödel's Proof
Towards the end of our honeymoon in Cuba, in August 2000, I bought El Teorema de Godel, the translation by Adolfo Martin, from La Moderna Poesia in Habana. The idea was to learn Spanish by using Gödel's Proof as my Rosetta stone. Eleven years later I have at least bought and read the English copy. Maybe I will finish the job in another eleven years.

I would recommend Gödel's Proof to anyone with an interest in, or fear of, higher maths. I certainly wish I had read this a long time ago. It outlines the elements of Mathematics required to understand the proof, but it is the clear exposition of Gödel Numbering which I particularly enjoyed.

Errata

Such a shame that the precise use of English of the authors is let down by the type setting.

P84 We can gain gain some
P107 footnote 37 employ a a fixed
P116 S2 and from two

No comments:

Post a Comment